tastes like chicken

''a blog with bite, but still goes down nice''... stimulating prose, insightful commentary, unabashedly poetic, and occasionally political (with a left hook). in a word, goodread. hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

how would you like your film, sir?


The question I had wanted to ask famous film producer-director Norman Jewison (''Moonstruck'', ''A Soldier's Story'', ''Fiddler on the Roof'', ''Jesus Christ Superstar'', ''In the Heat of the Night'') was this:

''Is there room in films for pure entertainment, PLUS social commentary?''

I was too shy to ask my question in front of the 100-something attendees at the lecture---some of whom seemed well-familiar with every aspect of Jewison's illustrious career (whereas, I had been only remotely familiar with his name, and had, in fact, only seen one or two of his movies, though I had heard of several others that are considered classics).

So, my question remained silent mostly due to my film-knowledge ignorance, but maybe also in part because I was certain my question was a standard discussion topic covered in first semester Film Studies---something I had never undertaken. Still, the question stayed on my mind long after my missed opportunity to speak up.

To find an answer to my own question, I searched my memory for various examples of films that imparted a relevant social commentary while packing plenty of entertainment value; movies that highlight a message for us all while carefully avoiding lecturing, thus leaving smiles on viewers' faces when they leave the theatre.

The easiest examples of this multiplicity I could think of were war-gendre films, including Oscar winner, ''A Beautiful Life''; the provocative and sexy, ''Head in the Clouds''; and one of my favorite foreign films, ''Malena''.

But, there must be plenty of non-war-gendre film examples, too?

So, just when I thought the answer to my muted question would be, ''Of course, silly!'', I then came across an interview with this moment's hottest actress, Scarlett Johansson (''Lost in Translation'', and now playing in ''The Island'') by Jaime Portman in July 2005:

Johansson seems unconcerned by subject matter that touches on sensitive contemporary issues.
''I don't believe that movies should deliver messages. I never pick films based on whatever message they're delivering...When I come out of a film that I've paid $10 to see and spent $15 on popcorn, I just want to have been entertained. I just want to leave and say: 'That w-a-a-s cool. I had a great time. That was a fun experience for me.' I don't think that films necessarily have to deliver the big picture. That can be so preachy and boring...''


At a time where hard-hitting director Michael Moore deliberately tried to sway American voters with his documentary-cum-epic ''Fahrenheit 9/11'', North American moviegoers still have an avid appetite for notoriously light fare.
I miss those early Spike Lee films, like ''Do the Right Thing'', that tried to put some meat in the bun. But, Lee's films were perhaps too masterful, and his themes too out-there for the average viewer to relate. (Maybe that's why he later started to tone it down and used more white leads to get greater box-office draw.) Plus everything in his films was over the top, including his social messages that went down like a lead boot.
So, my question is finally out. Still waiting for the answer.

2 Comments:

At 17/8/05, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you really answered your own question. :-)

To me, however, stories are a reflection of a question asked by the story-teller (scriptwriter, novelist, playright, whoever). The message if any depends on the question.

I think social messages, to be effective, are woven into the fabric of a movie. What I find even more irritating than mindless Hollywood fare are movies that take themselves too seriously. Movies that try to hit you over the head with a message of redeeming value.

The ones I like are multi-layered and textured, into which a message, if any, is incorporated without a wrinkle. Okay, so I took this cloth analogy too far...but still.

That's my two cents.

 
At 19/8/05, Blogger tastes like chicken said...

thanks, Jawahara for visiting. hmmmmmm, a question leading to a story leading to a message...looks like this is all wrapped up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home